Asian Americans: Virtual Screening & Discussion
VPM is hosting a free VIRTUAL SCREENING of Asian Americans on Monday, May 11th at 6:30pm. The preview will show highlights from key stories throughout the series.
After the screening, VPM will hold a Zoom panel discussion about the issues contained in Asian Americans. Our guest panelists are Ting-Yi Oei, writer and Education Director with the 1882 Foundation, and John Yang, President and Executive Director of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice – AAJC.
Go here to register - you must register to receive a link for the screening.
Explore the stories in Asian Americans by telling your own story! Go HERE to deepen your experience by following writing prompts and suggested formats to tell and share your and your family's story.
UPDATE: Laura Pho led a fantastic panel discussion with Ting-Yi Oei and John Yang. If you were with us for the screening or if you watched the full series, we hope you enjoy listening to the panel discussion delving into some of the issues presented in Asian Americans. Please click the video below to watch the conversation.
These are the resources for further information about Asian American history and current events in the API community mentioned by Mr. Oei and Mr. Yang in the panel discussion.
- The Fortunes, Peter Ho Davies
- Driven Out: The Forgotten War against Chinese Americans, Jean Pfaelzer
- The Making of Asian America: A History, Erika Lee
- America for Americans: A History of Xenophobia in the United States, Erika Lee
- The Chinese and the Iron Road: Building the Transcontinental Railroad, Gordon H. Chang
- A Nation of Nations: A Story of American after the 1965 Immigration Law, Tom Gjelton
- Water Tossing Boulders: How a Family of Chinese Immigrants Led the First Fight to Desegregate Schools in the Jim Crow South, Adrienne Berard
WEBSITES & HOTLINES
- The 1882 Foundation has an abundance of resources including more books and links to key organizations. It also has a list of collaborating institutions from the Smithsonian to libraries, and museums around the country. For teachers there is an education link that includes several lesson plans.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice Center - AAJC: Asian American Pacific Islander COVID19 resources.
- I Holla Back: Bystander intervention training.
- Stand Against Hatred: Report a hate incident - available in English, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean.
- Count Us in 2020: Census resources for the Asian American Pacific Islander community - including fact sheets in 23 Asian Pacific Islander languages.
- Iolani Palace: A Hawaiian Place of History, Power, and Prestige - Lesson plan on Hawaiian culture and history.
- Telling All Americans’ Stories: Introduction to Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage
- Census information hotline : 844-2020-API (844-2020-274) - available in English and eight Asian languages.
- Election information hotline: 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683) - available in English and either Asian languages.
Thanks to our partners: