Freelance Lead Producer/Writer, Seizing Freedom
VPM is looking for a seasoned producer to lead production--from research and scripting to booking to editing and providing feedback on sound design--of an ambitious, scripted history podcast.
Seizing Freedom tells the story of how Black people fought for and shaped their own liberation during the Civil War and Reconstruction. Host Kidada Williams acts as a guide, but the voices that tell the show’s stories are actors reading from real letters, diaries, speeches, and newspaper accounts of what was happening on the ground at the time.
Freedom taking and freedom making required everyday work. When you hear about Reconstruction, you might hear that, “It was great but it failed,” either because of white racism or the myth that Black people were only victims. Seizing Freedom combats those ideas by showcasing the agency Black people had in transforming the nation--in their own words.
We’re looking for a lead producer who can find archival material and craft a story like nothing else you’re hearing right now. The right person for the job will have an interest in untold stories, a love for the collaboration required to create narrative arcs, an ear and flair for voice actor and host direction, and the ability to translate complex ideas into accessible podcast scripts, quickly.
- Manage the booking and scheduling of voice actors and production needs (studio, edits, scoring etc.)
- Develop stories and write scripts in close partnership with the show’s host, senior editor and associate producer
- Conduct historical research and fact checking
- Work closely with the host on scripting and voicing
- Oversee the scoring, mixing and sound design of each episode, working closely with the show’s sound designer
- Collaborate on writing show episode description and show notes
- Help develop the production process and systems for quality and efficiency
- Support the creation of digital assets for the website, marketing and promotion, social media. Responsibilities could include: overseeing the production of audio trailers, selecting audio excerpts for media, selecting quotes from scripts for marketing, assisting the art production process, and answering questions about the show as needed.
- 3-5 years experience as a podcast or radio producer, preferably including an in-depth history and/or storytelling show (bonus points for audio fiction)
- Experience writing dialogue and creating scenes -- ideally for podcasts, but could also include theater, fiction or film scripting
- Ability to set / meet deadlines and work collaboratively
- Experience overseeing music scoring and sound design
- Strong narrative audio writing skills with the ability construct stories, inject humor and translate complex topics into audio-friendly stories.
- Proven editorial judgment and an ear for good sound
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision and consistently meets deadlines
- Flexible to work varied hours in remote locations, as necessary
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies at all times.
- Strong organization and communication skills
Apply by sending your resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V - VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.