Freelance Associate Producer, Seizing Freedom
VPM is looking for a producer to support production--from scripting and booking to editing and launching--of an ambitious, scripted history podcast.
Seizing Freedom tells the story of how Black people fought for and shaped their own liberation during the Civil War and Reconstruction. Host Kidada Williams acts as a guide, but the voices that tell the show’s stories are actors reading from real letters, diaries, speeches, and newspaper accounts of what was happening on the ground at the time.
Freedom taking and freedom making required everyday work. When you hear about Reconstruction, you might hear that, “It was great but it failed,” either because of white racism or the myth that Black people were only victims. Seizing Freedom combats those ideas by showcasing the agency Black people had in transforming the nation--in their own words.
We’re looking for an Assistant Producer who can support the team in crafting a story like nothing else you’re hearing right now. The right person for the job will have an interest in untold stories, a love for the collaboration required to create narrative arcs, an ear and flair for voice actor and host direction, and the ability to manage lots of different kinds of tasks at once.
- Manage the booking and scheduling of voice actors and production needs (studio and/or virtual recordings, edits, scoring, etc.)
- Research stories by digging through archives and support script drafting in close partnership with the show’s host, senior editor, and senior producer
- Participate in the selection and coaching of voice actors
- Collaborate on writing show intros and outros, episode descriptions, and show notes
- Help shape episode concepts and provide ongoing editorial input
- Upload episodes to podcast platforms with appropriate tags
- Help develop the production process and systems for quality and efficiency
- Support the creation of digital assets for the website, marketing and promotion, social media and future episodes. Responsibilities could include: overseeing the production of audio trailers, selecting audio excerpts for media, selecting quotes from scripts for marketing, assisting the art production process, and answering questions about the show as needed.
- Serve as a point of contact for the show with the other parts of VPM, providing seamless and responsive communication
- Coordinate with production manager on the show’s budget and assist with invoicing
- Keep track of archival sources and contribute to the development of annotated transcripts for the web
- 1-3 years experience as a podcast or radio producer, preferably including an in-depth history and/or storytelling show (bonus points for audio fiction)
- 1-3 years experience in audio production and editing experience, preferably in podcasting
- Experience writing dialogue and creating scenes -- ideally for podcasts, but could also include theater, fiction or film scripting
- Ability to set / meet deadlines and work collaboratively
- Proven editorial judgment and an ear for good sound
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision and consistently meets deadlines
- Flexible to work varied hours in remote locations, as necessary
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies at all times
- Strong organization and communication skills
Apply by sending your resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V - VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.