Executive Editor, Multimedia News
The Executive Editor, Multimedia News (EE, Multimedia News) is an experienced journalist and leader who will help guide, grow and strengthen VPM’s news presence across platforms. The EE, Multimedia News supervises the news department, and leads and manages the planning, production and presentation of news across television, radio and digital. Building and growing our web, social media and TV news presence is a top priority. This role reports directly to the Chief Content Officer and works in cooperation with VPM’s leadership and staff to support VPM’s mission.
As VPM’s top news authority, s/he is responsible for the journalistic integrity of all station activities and platforms. The EE, Multimedia News helps define and maintain ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for news programming.
• Set the overall multi-platform news strategy.
• Direct all activities of VPM News Staff.
• Oversee and grow news on VPM.org and social media.
• Incubate and launch new audio and video content, including radio, TV, podcasts and digital-only.
• Create and enforce editorial standards and guidelines.
• Develop processes for news gathering, editing and distribution.
• Oversee VPM News radio schedule.
• Regularly review metrics and data to drive decision-making.
• Set goals and monitoring performance of news personnel.
• Manage the news department budget for annual planning and monthly monitoring.
• Act as a proactive liaison to the community to understand local needs and issues and various internal and external constituencies such as NPR, PBS, APM, PRI.
• Developing partnerships and relationship with other news organizations as well as key leaders across Virginia.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent required.
• Minimum 10 years of experience in journalism, preferably in a multi-platform news environment.
• Newsroom experience required.
• Deep digital knowledge and experience.
• Experience in broadcast production, web content, news writing and news editing needed.
• Must be able to meet scheduled deadlines, make split-second decisions on content, ensuring ethical standards are always met.
• Strong leadership and mentoring experience to coach staff on all aspects of newsroom work to writing for radio Digital and TV.
• Ability to handle pressure calmly.
• Established experience covering Virginia news is a plus.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies.
Apply by sending your resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.