Freelance Features Editor
VPM News is seeking an experienced freelance editorial leader and enthusiastic mentor to lead feature production for our team of enterprising, award-winning news reporters and producers for a six month engagement. The Features Editor is a skilled collaborator who brings out the best of our team’s reporting and storytelling skills. With an ear for audio excellence, the Features Editor oversees on-air and online features, special series, investigations, multi-station collaborations, and multiplatform coverage. The Features Editor joins the News Director and a team of VPM News editors, including a Daily News Editor and Digital Editor, who co-manage a staff of about 12 reporters, producers and hosts.
• Editorial guidance and mentoring of staff, freelancers and interns on all VPM News content, from idea development, sources, pitching, interview questions, story structure, edits, fact checking, audio production and web buildouts.
• Work closely with Digital Editor and Video Producer on planning, editorial guidance and delivery of visual elements for feature stories.
• Help oversee system for pitching/commissioning stories.
• Collaborate with other departments on multi-platform series, projects and podcasts, including developing ideas and strategies for content creation and distribution.
• Assist News Director, Daily News Editor and Digital Editor with short, medium and long-term editorial and strategic planning including collaborations and partnerships.
• Assist News Director, Daily News Editor and Digital Editor on planning live and breaking news coverage.
• 3-5 years editorial leadership experience in a public media newsroom.
• Additional experience reporting in a public media newsroom is a plus.
• Demonstrated experience recording and editing audio and mixing complex stories on Adobe Audition or similar software.
• Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience distilling complex topics and material into coherent on-air and digital stories.
• Demonstrated experience working with diverse teams and audiences.
• Strong knowledge of systemic racism and racial justice and how these issues can be covered across beats.
• Demonstrated experience editing/reporting on a wide range of beats including politics, education, health, housing, development, the courts, the environment, arts and culture.
• Strong background in effectively leading and managing teams in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated experience in meeting short, medium and long term deadlines.
• Demonstrated experience editing/managing multiplatform journalism projects.
• Background in investigative/watchdog journalism.
• Strong understanding of journalism ethics.
• Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Apply by sending your resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V - VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.