Freelance Show Development Producer, VPM Podcasts
VPM is looking for an experienced audio producer to lead the development of new podcasts from pitch to pilot to launch. It is expected to be a 7-month engagement requiring roughly 40 hours per week and may be done remotely.
The Show Development Producer will take incoming pitches from the VPM podcast pitch portal, review them with podcast staff, and make recommendations for which pitches to pilot. They will then act as Lead Producer on those pilots, making a fully-produced and polished episode for further series or seasonal consideration. If the pilot is approved for a season or series, the Show Development Producer will oversee the transition to and hiring of a regular production team for the show.
The ideal candidate has serious production chops and the makings of a good editor. This position requires a generalist -- a producer of all trades -- who can also act as a guide on many different kinds of shows. They’re able to work alone just as well as on a team, accomplishing technical production tasks and guiding the vision for pilot episodes. They work for the overall good of each project, knowing that the piloting process often doesn’t result in further development -- and that that’s also a success.
- Review incoming pitches and presenting viable candidates to the podcast shop team.
- Work with Editor and Program Manager to develop pilot production processes.
- Work with the person or team who pitched a pilot and the Editor to realize their vision in a one-sheet and series proposal.
- Serve as lead producer on all pilots, with tasks including, but not limited to:
- lead pre-production and production meetings
- conduct or oversee recordings
- conduct or oversee tape cutting
- conduct or oversee script writing
- oversee engineering and sound design
- oversee scoring and music composition,
- Debrief with the podcast development team about how piloting processes went and recommending for or against further development in a series or season
- acting as liaison to the wider podcast community (both national and local to Virginia, including VPM’s partner studio at the Institute for Contemporary Art in Richmond) to encourage pitches and pilots from a wide range of perspectives.
- Work with people or teams that pitch already-produced, viable podcasts to develop their shows according to VPM’s standards, mission, and strategic goals.
- 5-7 years experience as a podcast producer across a variety of show formats and styles.
- Experience writing script for long-form, documentary-style podcasts as well as writing host intros for interview-based shows.
- Experience directing hosts during interviews and coaching host presences on-mic.
- Proven editorial judgment, an eye for a good written pitch and an ear for good sound.
- Experience providing positive and constructive feedback for a range of projects to producers at different stages in their audio careers.
- Experience working in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders, from hosts to other producers to editors to project managers to public media management to potential distribution and sponsorship partners.
- Experience overseeing music scoring and sound design.
- Ability to work in different DAWs and collaborate on audio projects remotely.
- Ability to set / meet deadlines and work collaboratively.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
Apply by sending your resume and a brief cover letter outlining your interest in this position to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.