Freelance Lead Editor, VPM Podcasts
VPM is looking for an experienced audio editor to support the creation of new podcasts and establish a consistent tone and standard of quality across all podcast programming. It is expected to be a 7-month engagement requiring roughly 40 hours per week and may be done remotely.
The Editor will play a leadership role in shaping the portfolio of podcasts produced by VPM, helping to craft the vision and build/oversee the team for each new show. In addition to supporting the pitches and development of new podcasts through the piloting process, the Editor will also be responsible for refining scripts and providing feedback on audio drafts for episodes of each show in production.
The ideal candidate will be a superb writer with the ability to write for the ear, as well as the ability to structure language to fit different formats and audiences across a wide variety of shows. The editor also will cut audio as needed, and should be proficient in audio editing skills and tools (e.g. ProTools.) They’re able to work alone just as well as on a team, accomplishing technical production tasks and supporting the vision for each show and episode.
- Work with Show Development Producer and Program Manager to review incoming pitches for new programs and scout for talent/shows.
- Work with Show Development Producer and Program Manager to develop pilot production processes, as well as new projects, in line with VPM’s strategic goals.
- Work with the person or team who pitched a pilot and the Show Development Producer to realize their vision in a one-sheet and series proposal.
- Attend pre-production and production meetings for all projects.
- Contribute to project research and writing where necessary.
- Edit scripts and audio drafts to provide clear and constructive feedback to podcast teams.
- Write and produce content to support shows, as needed.
- Review all external-facing written material about and by the shop and its projects
- Review (and edit, if necessary) all pre- mid- and post-roll scripts.
- Contribute to the hiring process, focused on establishing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive working environment.
- 5-7 years experience as a podcast producer across a variety of show formats and styles.
- Experience writing script for long-form, documentary-style podcasts as well as writing host intros for interview-based shows.
- Proven editorial judgment, an eye for a good written pitch and an ear for good sound.
- Experience providing positive and constructive feedback for a range of projects to audio professionals at different stages in their careers
- Original reporting and show development experience.
- Experience working in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders, from hosts to producers to other editors to project managers to public media management to potential distribution and sponsorship partners.
- Experience overseeing music scoring and sound design.
- Ability to work in different DAWs and collaborate on audio projects remotely.
- Ability to set / meet deadlines and work collaboratively.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
Apply by sending your resume and a brief cover letter outlining your interest in this position to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.