Songs and Stories with Mary and Mike: "The Sounds of Cuba"
Episode 8 - Mary and Mike learn about Cuban culture and music. Gustavo Pellon, a University of Virginia professor originally from Cuba, teaches us about this unique country, tells a childhood story, and shares a poem. Dr. Mike Davison, a trumpet player and University of Richmond professor, plays his trumpet and demonstrates the clave rhythm, the foundation of Cuban music. Come learn with us!
VA Unified Early Learning and Development Standards
- APL1.1 Being curious learners
- APL3.1 Focusing and paying attention
- APL3.2 Building working memory
- SED1.2 Developing self-esteem and confidence
- CLLD1.1 Understanding verbal and nonverbal cues
- CD2.3 Learning about differences
- CD4.2 Learning about and through music
National Standards for Music Education
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture