This French classic can be on your table in a little over an hour with this shortcut. The Shortcut Cassoulet recipe pairs well with Muse Vineyards’ Clio, a red blend, and appears in “Un-Wine’d," which airs Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. on VPM PBS.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz smoked ham, chopped
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 3 to 4 sweet Italian sausages, jackets removed
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 c. strong chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 15-oz cans cannellini beans drained
- 1 small ham hock, optional
- 2 c. kale, roughly torn and packed
- ½ c. White Wine
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¼ c. freshly chopped Parsley
Step 1: Heat a stock pot over medium heat and add olive oil and warm through.
Step 2: Then add ham, bacon, sausage and shallots, and cook until sausage is warmed through and fully cooked.
Step 3: Add garlic, tomatoes, celery, carrots, and parsley, and continue cooking for a few minutes to fully cook the vegetables.
Step 4: Add the stock, ham hock, and add the beans. Then, simmer for 30 minutes or so to flavor the beans.
Step 5: Pour the beans into the meat mixture and stir up bits from the bottom of the pan to be sure all the flavors are mixed.
Step 6: Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes to meld flavors.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy!