Vegetable Red Curry
This Vegetable Red Curry is rich in flavor and gluten-free. The recipe pairs well with Bluestone Vineyards’ Traminette wine and appears in “Un-Wine’d,” which airs Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. on VPM PBS.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup jasmine rice, cooked to package instructions
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ large white onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 ½ tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips about ¼” wide
- 2 carrots, washed and cut into ¼” thick round slices
- 2-3 tbsp. red curry paste (adjust according to taste)
- ⅔ c water
- 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, washed well, hard stems removed
- 2 tsp. raw sugar (can use brown sugar, turbinado, or coconut if desired)
- 2 tbsp. tamari sauce (soy sauce can be used if gluten is not an issue)
- Zest and juice of one lime
- ¼ c. chiffonade of basil
- Large frying pan
Step 1: Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and the onion. Cook about two minutes until the onion begins to become translucent.
Step 2: Then add the ginger root, garlic, peppers, and carrots. Saute until the carrots begin to slightly soften. Then add the water and coconut milk.
Step 3: Add the water and coconut milk. Stir well and simmer until the carrots are tender. Taste and season with salt, if needed.
Step 4: Cut the kale into thin strips and add to the pan.
Step 5: Stir through then add the sugar, tamari or soy sauce, lime zest and juice. Then cook to wilt the kale (about one minute).
Step 6: Divide the rice between four plates or bowls. Then divide the curry between the bowls and pour over the rice.
Step 7: Sprinkle with basil and enjoy.