Assistant Digital News Editor
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
The Assistant Digital News Editor will report to the Digital News Editor and support the newsroom by creating stories on multiple platforms to deepen our connection with the communities we serve now, as well as emerging audiences. A team player comfortable making quick decisions, the Assistant Digital News Editor is responsible for proactively handling occasional breaking news stories, editing digital stories and products, assisting with newsletter creation and updating the homepage regularly. Long-range projects will include data visualizations, FOIA requests, and data analysis to support enterprise reporting and research.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
- Works collaboratively with the newsroom team to ensure comprehensive and diverse news coverage on all of our platforms.
- Careful copy editing for spelling, punctuation and reviews factual claims for accuracy.
- Edits digital content with adherence to VPM standards of accuracy and fairness. Actively incorporates diverse perspectives and voices into the editorial process.
- Workshops headlines for accuracy and SEO.
- Brings story ideas and coverage suggestions with an audience-centric perspective.
- Identifies blind spots in our coverage and suggests ways to mitigate them.
- Supports reporters with data analysis and visualizations.
- Monitors social media and responds to reporters in order to capture breaking stories.
- Updates the homepage and other digital platforms regularly with fresh content.
- Pulls stories from NPR, The Associated Press and our partners, for use on VPM's website, digital products and social media channels.
- Helps edit audio content as needed.
- Generally works 11-7 PM and may work additional hours for special and breaking news coverage.
- BA/BS preferred or equivalent experience.
- Solid news judgment. Knowledge of AP style.
- Demonstrated experience creating and posting content across multiple social platforms.
- Experience with data sets and modeling a plus.
- Experience gathering and evaluating analytics.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies.
- Strong verbal, writing, editing, and online production skills.
- Excellent attention-to-detail with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and Audition).
Apply by sending your resume and three published stories you edited or reported to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.