City of Richmond Reporter
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM is seeking a City of Richmond Reporter to collect and analyze information of interest, including government and breaking news, and report it to the public through broadcast and digital channels.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Report regular daily and long-form news that could include audio, digital, written and visual elements.
• Engage with the Richmond community to build sources.
• Work closely with the news team to communicate editorial priorities and share ideas.
• Cover the Richmond Mayor’s office and administration, Richmond City Council, Richmond Planning Commission, Richmond Economic Development Authority and other breaking news.
• Assist the State Politics, Education and Legal Reporters when necessary.
• May host occasional news programs as needed.
• Open to working varied shifts as required with the changing news cycle, such as covering evening meetings or weekend events.
• 2-3 years of experience reporting.
• Public radio experience a plus.
• Proficient in Adobe Audition or similar editing software.
• Web and social media-based editing and production skills.
• Photography skills
• Valid driver’s license and have the ability to travel.
Apply by sending your resume and reel of work to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.