TV News Anchor
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM seeks a dynamic, experienced, and mission-driven television News Anchor to join its team and help launch a new weekly half-hour multi-platform program to debut in January, 2022. The broadcast will include studio and field produced video segments covering news, politics, business, the arts, science, local culture, and racial justice issues in Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley.
As a persuasive and passionate communicator, the Anchor will operate with a high degree of journalistic ethics and a collaborative team spirit. The ideal candidate has strong writing skills, solid news judgment, experience with visual storytelling, and a commitment to cultivating sources and building relationships with public officials, community members, and supporters. The Anchor is an empathetic and ethical news leader who is committed to uncovering and reporting the facts with integrity. They must be a team player and inclusive storyteller with the ability to authentically engage and connect with a diverse audience. The Anchor will have extensive knowledge of local and regional politics, and Virginia’s history and culture. The role is part of the VPM News team and reports to the Senior Producer.
The ideal Anchor should have knowledge of public media but also strive beyond the public media bubble to find people and voices that resonate in new ways. We are looking to develop coverage that distinguishes VPM and connects with racially, ethnically, and politically diverse audiences, among others. Our work is community-centric and driven by teamwork and transparency. VPM believes attracting and retaining a diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Host VPM’s weekly television/multi-media news broadcast, as well as public forums, political debates, and community events.
• Research, write scripts, produce, and deliver compelling news stories for a multi-layered program (shooting and editing skills are a plus).
• Report live on-air and on social media during newscasts, special reports, and continuous coverage of events.
Ad-lib and communicate breaking news when scripts are not available.
• Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following AP Style and formatting guidelines.
• Exercise independent professional journalistic judgment in writing, producing, interviewing, taping, broadcasting, and public speaking.
• As an ambassador for VPM, participate in station events and develop strong relationships with newsmakers and community leaders.
• Introduce correspondents reporting on the scene and ask relevant questions.
• Interview guests in the studio.
• Maintain a strong daily presence on social media and contribute content on VPM’s social and digital platforms, including, video, audio, and written content.
• Demonstrate a passion for authentic community engagement, as well as strong journalistic ethics and creative storytelling.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in a public or commercial television media outlet as a reporter/anchor producing and delivering content.
• Excellent editorial judgment and experience producing content on all newsroom platforms, including television, online, and social media.
• Knowledge of journalistic standards and ethics with sound judgement and a commitment to objectivity, balance, and fairness.
• Knowledge of Virginia politics, history, and personalities is essential.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• The ability to clearly communicate solutions that foster a culture of teamwork.
• Demonstrated history of attention to racial and gender equity in editorial practices.
• Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations, as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field of study is preferred, or equivalent experience.
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and a link to your reel to [email protected]. Please include a link with examples of anchoring from a recent newscast, three examples of enterprise stories, and a brief explanation of how each story was reported.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.