VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
We seek an experienced, well-organized, and enthusiastic Associate Producer to join our team of journalists, and assist with all areas of newscast production including writing, research, organizing scripts, timing newscasts, assisting with the content and copy for graphics, basic video editing, and booking guests. The AP will work cohesively with producers, videographers, reporters, and editors to produce news stories, as well as, field produce spot news stories and special segments for our weekly half-hour, multi-platform news magazine program.
The ideal candidate will have strong journalistic standards, experience with broadcast operations, and knowledge of local and regional politics, current events, as well as Virginia history and culture. This role is part of the VPM News team and reports to the Editorial Producer. Knowledge of public media is important, but the ideal candidate will also strive beyond the public media bubble to find people and voices that resonate meaningfully with our established and growing audiences, groups which are racially, ethnically, regionally, and politically diverse. VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community.
• Work with the team to research and develop story ideas
• Pitch ideas, book interviews, shoot, write, and edit scripts
• Organize and supervise crew members
• Coordinate guest booking, set dressing, catering services, and studio set up
• Assist in the control room timing the show during tapings
• Fact-check scripts and assist reporters and producers in video/photo/audio/document asset collection
• Pull archival footage and identify visual elements
• Ensure that video and audio segments are in the correct formats
• Work with reporters, producers, and digital producers to reformat broadcast content for the web, including but not limited to reviewing articles, writing social copy, and organizing live streams
• Research and write news scripts for assigned shows and newscasts
• Participate in coverage of major stories, breaking news, and specials
• Secure footage rights and clearances to ensure video is acquired and credited properly
• 4-year college degree or equivalent broadcast news experience preferred
• A solid background in news writing and production, and strong research skills
• Ability to be flexible, multi-task, and work collaboratively under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Proficient with Adobe Cloud products including Premiere Pro, Audition, and Photoshop
• Solid news judgement and a passion for informing the public
• Knowledge of Virginia politics and state leaders, current events, industry trends, and emerging digital products
• Working knowledge of social media platforms
• Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with VPM personnel, partners, and interviewees
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to clearly communicate solutions
• Must be digitally savvy, have strong internet research skills, and the ability to learn internal digital video archives platforms
• Creative storytelling and communication skills
• Strong technical knowledge and expertise in all aspects of production
• Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations, as needed
• Comfortable working across platforms on broadcast, social, television and radio
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and a link to your reel to [email protected]. Please include examples of videos/digital print stories/screenshots of social posts that you have produced and a brief explanation of how you reported on a few of your key stories. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.