Host and Writer, Jazz and Culture
As Virginia’s home for public media, VPM connects nearly 2 million people across Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley to insightful programming in arts and culture, history, science, news and education.
VPM is looking for a part-time Host and Writer of jazz culture for our live radio show, on air weeknights from 7-9p, as well as for a prerecorded alternative or modern jazz music weekend program on VPM Music. Reporting to our Program Director, you will produce, and voice recorded interviews and features for our broadcast audience and VPM.org.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Produces a live jazz program to air weeknights.
• Produces and records an alternative music show to air weekends.
• Creates playlists to appear on VPM.org to share what was played with the audience.
• Answers listener questions about music that aired.
• Crafts arts and culture related features for VPM.org and VPM Music 93.1 and 107.3.
• Leads jazz and alternative music outreach with Richmond’s musical communities.
• Minimum two years as broadcast or podcast host.
• Minimum two years writing art or music-focused articles, preferably for digital audiences.
• Experience editing audio in Adobe Audition.
• Experience interviewing musical performers for either print or audio.
• Ability to live host a program each weeknight beginning at 7p or pivot to automated hosting, if necessary.
• Must be engage and interact with listeners and readers both in person and on digital platforms.
• Must demonstrate deep knowledge of jazz and alternative music.
• Able to work 20-25 hours per week.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.