Director, Digital Strategy & Operations
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM takes a multi-platform approach to content development, distribution, and marketing as well as engaging audiences on digital platforms. This platform-focused position supports the growth of the digital and social audiences, which include initiatives to increase reach, engagement, and retention. The ideal Director should be able to collaborate with multiple stakeholders while balancing responsibilities across operations, digital platform strategy and editorial oversight.
Reporting to the Chief Content Officer, the Director, Digital Operations provides operational and strategic leadership for all non-news content and closely coordinates with VPM News to ensure operational alignment. Focusing on enhancing reach and performance of VPM platforms through digital best practices, the Director will utilize all available information (content production schedules, news cycles, marketing plans, audience segment goals, analytics, etc.) to develop and execute on high-level strategic content schedules and plans.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Leads, motivates, and inspires digital team members for optimal performance.
• Leverages teams across VPM to implement platform strategy by documenting and executing best practices and measuring performance with digital analytics.
• Leads support of social community management and determines how and when to engage.
• Works with content producers to manage digital aspects of VPM produced programs, from asset-gathering and acceptance to site build-out, promotion, and maintenance.
• Works across disciplines to circulate content for approval from internal partners.
• Runs weekly stand-up and editorial meetings to ensure alignment across the organization.
• Cultivates and manages relationships with outside vendors.
• Develops digital content planning calendar with VPM audience segment goals in mind.
• Works closely with content producers to develop audience segment-specific digital assets and coordinated campaigns that align with platform priorities.
• Stays current on digital media industry trends and best practices.
• Manages copy approval for digital channels, non-news content, exemplifying and enhancing the VPM voice.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and work experience
• Three years’ experience leading digital teams and cross-functional projects.
• Background in journalism, audio & video content, and digital media is preferred; public media experience is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple complex projects and problem-solve independently.
• Driven self-starter with a proactive mindset and able to work in a rapidly changing environment.
• Skilled at developing and exercising cross-functional influence, translating between platform owners and content creators.
• Demonstrated experience writing copy to support digital content.
• Strong analytical skills to evaluate the impact of content campaigns.
• Experience managing department budgets and monitoring expenses.
• Proficient using project management, analytics, and social posting tools such as Google Analytics, Airtable, and Asana.
• Possesses excellent consulting, writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation and communication skills.
Apply by sending your resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.