Programming Manager, Radio
Our program manager oversees day-to-day operations of VPM News and VPM Music
including supervision of operations and personnel management.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Plans monthly broadcast schedules for VPM News and VPM Music.
• Supervises programming staff to ensure department workflow.
• Provides weekly support materials for promotion.
• Researches, screens, evaluates and acquires offerings from auxiliary distributors.
• Monitors monthly ratings and tracks listenership trends to facilitate program
• Works closely with Broadcasting Operations to maintain flow of information related to signal.
• Meet monthly with hosts and producers to identify and plan for upcoming programming opportunities.
• Attends Content, Marketing and Development meetings to provide programming updates, information and support.
• Participates in monthly programming telephone conferences for TRAC scheduling to review and share programming ideas with other PBS programmers.
• Partners with Development staff to plan quarterly pledge schedules for Radio and supplies needed information to plan and produce pledge spots.
• Provides schedules, local program descriptions and change orders to media listing vendors for electronic listings.
• Manages VPM News and VPM Music's compliance with reporting and business practices set by the FCC and CPB.
• Reviews completed program logs for accuracy and conformance with FCC and Commonwealth Public Broadcasting (CPB) rules and regulations; resolves program log inaccuracies.
• Provides statistical information (ratings and demographics) as needed.
• Responds to viewer questions and comments.
• Equivalent work experience in radio or a related field.
• Demonstrated superior organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft programs, including knowledge of automation systems.
• Independent worker with ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude.
• Possesses strong writing and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize competing demands and deadlines.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.