Social Media Specialist
Our Social Media Specialist helps guide VPM’s strategy and tactics for social media engagement throughout the media organization to increase the reach of our content and increase the frequency of engagement with our current audiences.
VPM is looking for a stellar storyteller to share all the wonderful work being produced including TV and radio shows, digital video content, news, podcasts, education, community conversations, events and more through media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Tik Tok.
Our Social Media Specialist has expertise in digital communications and marketing, digital trends and content best practices, including SEO, content strategy/optimization, social media strategy and tactics, user experience and accessibility. Reporting to the Director, Digital Strategy & Operations, this person will also help conceptualize and create digital content in support of VPM’s mission that are engaging, relevant and impactful to audiences and that helps position VPM as a community resource and thought leader.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Creates, curates, sources, prepares and edits content and materials for publishing and sharing across all VPM social and digital media channels.
• Ensures VPM maintains a creative and engaging presence on appropriate social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other developing outlets.
• Collaborates with VPM’s team of news reporters, content producers and other station staff to identify opportunities for developing digital content elements that will enhance the quality of our digital stories, programs, strategic endeavors and other digital productions.
• Identifies opportunities for connecting with our community and our audience via digital channels and work with the team on making those connections.
• Monitors social media to identify trends, activity and interest that could become editorial and programming opportunities, and informs the team of those opportunities.
• Measures reach and engagement across multiple platforms on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis.
• Research best practices on social media platforms to achieve high levels of engagement and sharing.
• Designs graphics and imagery for use on digital platforms.
• Stays up to date with the latest industry trends and content performance metrics.
• Assists in the implementation of web content strategies to improve internal and external communications.
• A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or other related experience required.
• 2-3 years of relevant experience in social media, web management and graphic design.
• 2-3 years of experience managing across digital platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Possesses strong communication, interpersonal and time management skills.
• Demonstrated experience working in Grove or other CMS software.
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, Social Media dashboard such as Meltwater, Adobe Creative Suite and/or photography skills is a plus.
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter and a link to your portfolio to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.