Newscast Editor & Internship Coordinator
VPM is searching for a journalist energized by the frantic pace of daily news and passionate about mentoring the next generation of public radio reporters to be our Newscast Editor & Internship Coordinator. Reporting into the Managing Editor, this role edits daily content for VPM’s morning and afternoon newscasts and manages reporters and interns.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Works closely with Managing to identify, assign and edit content for VPM's morning and afternoon newscasts.
• Prioritizes and assigns daily and long-range stories for reporters and interns.
• Coaching reporters and interns on reporting strategies and developing their audio and digital reporting skills.
• Facilitates daily editorial meetings alongside the editing team; sets daily deadlines, edits spot news, fact checks stories and copy edits material for digital distribution.
• Assists in curating and writing copy for newscasts and the web.
• Reports and produces news stories during breaking news and special coverage.
• Assists in outreach efforts to locate the best candidates for our intern and fellowship programs and in interviewing candidates for these programs.
• Responsible for setting schedules, assigning tasks and stories, editing on-air or digital work, and approving hours for interns.
• Performs live newscast shifts in a rotation with other newscasters.
• Participates in news meetings to shape the strategy for daily and ongoing coverage.
• Works with the Features Editor to identify daily news stories that could be developed into features.
• Serves as primary interface with digital team regarding daily news coverage.
• Assist in feature editing when the features editor is away.
• Three years editing experience.
• 1-3 years of on air/news casting experience.
• 1 year of experience supervising journalism students and/or interns.
• Host and board operating experience is preferred.
• Public Radio experience is a plus.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.