News Producer - VPM News Focal Point
VPM is seeking an experienced and creative News Producer to join the team at VPM News Focal Point. The weekly broadcast launched in early 2022 and covers state-wide news, politics, race, business, health, the environment, science, arts, and culture. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned TV journalist with strong producing and writing skills and knowledge of digital platforms.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Manages and supervises the Associate Producer position.
• Demonstrates strong journalistic ethics and creative storytelling.
• Researches, writes and produces news reports and video segments for television broadcast and digital platforms; studio and field producing.
• Researches and books guests for studio and field interviews.
• Reviews and fact checks the studio script in collaboration with editorial team members.
• Works with associate producer and journalists to create weekly show graphics.
• Writes and revises copy.
• Fact checks video segments.
• Leads post-production team to complete the final show assembly meeting editorial expectations, production standards and delivery deadlines in collaboration with senior staff.
• Works with associate producer and senior producer to finalize program descriptions and broadcast promos.
• Identifies necessary additional or archival footage for news content in your purview; ensures rights are secured and documented; supports anchor/producer and other producers with the same, at times.
• Provides editorial review and technical feedback on news content created by others, including scripts, copy and videos.
• Formats reported pieces and writes articles for release on VPM.org.
• Generates ideas and provides feedback on story pitches and episode themes as part of the editorial team.
• Collaborates with the editorial team to develop new digital content initiatives for VPM News Focal Point, including podcasts.
• Tracks broadcast ratings and digital analytics.
• Liaisons with digital team to shape storytelling across platforms and ensures roles, responsibilities and deliverables are understood and met.
• Assists with specials, elections, marketing videos.
• Exercises independent professional journalistic judgement in writing, producing, interviewing, taping, broadcasting, and public speaking.
• Works with senior staff to ensure accuracy, fairness, and editorial integrity in the content production.
• Adheres to public media standards, the VPM News strategic plan, and FCC rules.
• 5 + years of TV news production experience working with reporters, editors, production crews.
• Team player with solid news judgement and deep knowledge of and commitment to the tenets and ethics of journalism.
• Strong leadership and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently to manage and prioritize multiple stories and competing demands and deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Compelling and accurate writer with knowledge of AP Style.
• Demonstrated organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft 365, including Word, Excel, and SharePoint.
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and ability to work independently and part of a team.
• Flexible to work unusual hours and at remote locations, including overnight travel, as necessary.
• Possesses a valid Virginia driver’s license.
o Experience shooting video and recording audio with professional HD cameras and audio gear.
o Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Premiere Pro editing.
o On-camera reporting experience.
o Knowledge of PBS broadcast standards and practices.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.