Red Wine Poached Pears with Red Wine Caramel Sauce
Serving Size 4
- 4 Pears, peeled and core removed from bottom to top with a melon baller (top stem intact)
- 1 bottle dry Virginia Wine
- 2 ½ c. sugar, divided
- 2 snips vanilla bean
- 1 T. whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 stick butter, room temperature, cut into 1 T. pieces
- Melt the sugar in the wine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the spices and simmer 2 minutes then add the pears. Simmer moving the pears frequently until the pears are slightly tender .
- Remove the pears and strain out the spices.
- Return the liquid to the pan and add ½ c. sugar.
- Simmer to reduce to about ½ c. liquid.
- Remove from heat and add the butter with a whisk one tablespoon at a time. Whisk well after each addition.
- Lay out 4 plates and drizzle a bit of the caramel over each plate.
- Top with a pear and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add another small drizzle of caramel and serve.