VPM News Daily: March 26, 2020
During the coronavirus outbreak, VPM is running a daily newscast of our reporting, hosted by Benjamin Dolle. Episodes are recorded at 6 p.m. and released at 7 a.m. the next day.
In this episode:
- During his coronavirus briefing, Gov. Ralph Northam called for medical students and providers with current or previous licenses to volunteer to increase our capacity to treat patients.
- The governor also criticized Liberty University, saying the school was sending a "mixed message" about public health. Since this episode was recorded, University President Jerry Falwell Jr issued a statement denying that they're at odds with any safety guidance issued by the Virginia Department of Health.
- Rep. Abigail Spanberger and Rep. Denver Riggleman are used to being on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but both politicians say they agree on the bipartisan coronavirus relief package.
- The Menuhin Competition has been delayed. Over 40 young violinists were coming to Richmond from all over the world, but organizers say they'll have to postpone the event until next year due to the pandemic.
- To increase total coronavirus tests, UVA is performing 100 tests per day and providing additional tests to other hospitals in the commonwealth.
This episode was recorded at 6 p.m., March 25.