News →

Police Tear Gas, Charge Crowd Before Curfew Begins

SLIDESHOW Protesters were met with a militarized response Monday night. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
Police established perimeters around Confederate monuments. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
(Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
Businesses all over town shut down today, posting signs of support for Blacks Lives Matter. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
(Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
Reports claimed some protesters were trying to pull down Confederate monuments. It's unclear if that's what's happening here. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
People marched toward the Capitol, which was closed, then back toward Monroe Park. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
Militarized response to protesters
Protesters were met with a militarized response Monday night. (Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
(Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
(Photo: Crixell Matthews/VPM News)
Previous Slide
Next Slide

Final update, 12:40 p.m.:

Richmond Police tear-gassed hundreds of people gathered around the Robert E. Lee Monument Monday night, roughly 20 minutes before an 8 p.m. curfew. After conflicting explanations, the department apologized through a Tweet. According to the statement, after reviewing video from the protest, Police Chief William Smith said the officers involved took "unwarranted action" and would be disciplined for violating department "protocols and directions given."

Mayor Levar Stoney also apologized over Twitter, and invited protesters to "demand answers" from him at City Hall tomorrow at noon.

There were reports that protesters tried to take down monuments in other places, and police appeared to be working to protect the monuments by forming perimeters around them. Police officers in full riot gear with shields and pepper spray faced off with protesters carrying milk and cameras.

On Twitter, the executive editor of the Commonwealth Times broadcast the end of the protest sometime after 11 p.m., in which protesters discussed attending Stoney's apology at City Hall before closing with a prayer.

VPM will continue to cover the protests tomorrow online and at 88.9 FM.

Drone footage of the protest before and as gas was deployed.

Update 10:00 p.m.:

After reviewing video, Richmond Police say the tear gas they deployed at the Lee Monument was an "unwarranted action." The officers involved will be pulled from the field and disciplined. VPM will continue following this story.

Twitter Screenshot
Tweet Source

Update 9:15 p.m.:

Mayor Levar Stoney has apologized for the police action and invited the public to "demand answers" from him tomorrow at City Hall.

tweet screencap
Tweet Source

The police issued a statement on Twitter, claiming that they had to use tear gas against "peaceful protestors" in order to cut through to support officers elsewhere who were dealing with "violent protestors." VPM was unable to substantiate this claim.

tweet screenshot
Tweet Source

Original Story:

Today's protest began with a march from Monroe Park at 5 p.m., and ended when police rushed the group, assembled before the Robert E. Lee monument, 20 minutes before an 8 p.m. curfew.

Thousands of people had gathered at Monroe Park and marched toward the Capitol building, which remained closed after weekend protests.

The crowd marched back towards Monroe Park, and then to Monument Avenue, where it stretched from Stuart Circle to the Lee Monument. The group was assisted by bystanders who handed out water, food and medical supplies from the sidewalks.

Around 7:40 p.m., law enforcement rushed them with tear gas and pepper spray.

This is breaking news. We will update this story with future developments.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story had the time inaccurately listed as 6:40. We have updated it to 7:40.