Former Boy Scouts Must File Sexual Abuse Claims by Next Week
A deadline is approaching for anyone who was sexually abused as a Boy Scout to file a claim and possibly receive compensation. Boy Scouts of America filed for bankruptcy after hundreds of men filed lawsuits earlier this year alleging sexual abuse. Some of those complaints came from Virginia.
A bankruptcy court has set a November 16 deadline for victims to file claims.
When the bankruptcy was announced in February, Jim Turley, the national chairperson of Boy Scouts of America, published an open letter to victims.
“As a father, a former Scout, and the National Chair of the Boy Scouts of America, I am truly heartbroken that you were harmed during your time in Scouting and that you carry unfathomable pain,” Turley said. “I am outraged that individuals took advantage of our programs to commit these heinous acts. I am also outraged that there were times when volunteers and employees ignored our procedures or forgave transgressions that are unforgivable.”
The 110-year-old organization has asked survivors to submit a Sexual Abuse Survivor Proofs of Claim form.
The company that is handling the claims, Omni Agent Solutions, says the information submitted on the website will remain confidential.
A map of reported Boy Scout abuse includes a number of locations in Virginia, including Chesterfield, Goshen, McLean, Roanoke, Spring Grove, and Shenandoah.