How to Make Apple Kimchi
When making apple kimchi you can choose your favorite type or types of apple. Jen Naylor recommends looking for a firm texture and flavors of sweetness and tartness. For her demonstration, Jen used Evercrisp and Wildtwist. This kimchi can be enjoyed right away or allowed to ferment. Jen recommends eating it fresh and serving on top of fried eggs, hotdogs or brats.
To learn more about Jen Naylor and Sussex Farm visit her on Facebook.
Quick Apple Kimchi - Ingredients:
- 8 cups of apple thickly julienned (About 5 medium to large apples)
- ¼ cup carrot thinly julienned (1 small carrot)
- ¾ cup spring onion sliced diagonally (About 4 spring onions)
- A few thin slices of red bell pepper (About ¼ of a pepper)
- 3 Tb Korean chili pepper flakes
- 2 Tb grated sweet onion
- 1 Tb grated garlic
- 1 Tb grated ginger
- 1 Tb sea salt
- 1 Tb toasted sesame seeds
In a medium bowl combine the sweet onion, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper flakes. Stir to make a paste as the pepper flakes absorb the moisture from the other ingredients. Allow the paste to sit for 10-15 minutes.
Julienne the apples and carrots. Diagonally slice the spring onions to expose the maximum surface area. Thinly slice the red bell pepper. Mix these ingredients together in a large bowl and then add the paste, massaging it in by hand until the apples are covered. Finally add the toasted sesame seeds and mix in by hand.